Deep Tissue Massage
A deep tissue massage goes deeper than a regular massage. The main aim is to increase range of movement and decrease pain by working on adhesions which form within the layers of muscle and connective tissue.
Adhesions can also cause poor blood circulation and a variety of nerve irritations and associated problems.
A deep tissue massage uses a variety of techniques such as cross-fibre friction, 'muscle stripping' (which seperates individual bunches of muscle fibres and increase muscle length), and many of the techniques below used in Sports Massage.
During a deep tissues massage session, you should feel some discomfort but not extreme pain.
What is Sports Massage
Sports massage combines a variety of hands-on scientifically and medically proven techniques.
A sports massage uses the following techniques:
You don't need to be an athlete to have a sports massage. A lot of people like to have a sports massage because of the different techniques used.
Benefits of Sports Massage
- Helps prevent muscle and tendon injuries.
- Reduces the strain and discomfort of training and chronic strain patterns, allowing a quicker return to maximum training levels.
- Provides psychological boosts to the athlete, consistent with his or her commitment to high performance.
- Enhances a preventive approach by keeing tissues free of trigger points and adhesions, thus contributing toward the improvement of peak neuromuscular functioning.
- Pre-event massage stimulates circulation, calms nervous tension, and prepares the athlete for optimal performance while reducing the chances of injury.
- Post-event massage relieves soreness and assists in the removal of waste products.
- Training massage focuses on the prevention of developing chronic injuries and aids in the healing process of current ones.
What to Expect
A typical deep tissue/sports injury treatment is as follows:
- Client fills out a confidential medical history form.
- Consultation with the practitioner to search for underlying causes of particular problem.
- Physical assessment. We assess client's current posture, examine joint mobility, look for restrictive or excessive movement, assess individual muscles carrying out individual muscle tests where necessary.
- Treatment plan is drawn up. We keep detailed records of progress. Indeed if treatment is more suitable to another type of health professional, we will refer you on.
After your treatment sessions, you may experience some degree of discomfort for a day or two after. This should be nothing to worry about as it is generally a sign of progress.
Sports Massage treatments are €60 per session
Deep Tissue treatment is €70
Alternatively phone 01 811 77 77 (same day appointment may be available)
Medical Insurance Cover: